If you are considering the option of volunteering abroad, you may have thought about working with animals. This will give you the opportunity to have an unforgettable experience and do something worthwhile with your time away. Here are some points to consider:
- Make sure the volunteering opportunity is ethical. Some are just tourist traps and the animals are not actually rescued, so look into the ethics behind what you want to do.
- Book directly through the sanctuary or with a reputable agency. Some scams involve people pretending to be agents offering fake volunteering opportunities.
- Get all your travel vaccinations. Cover yourself fully and get immunised against rabies if you are working directly with animals.
- Get good travel insurance. You want to make sure you are fully covered and that your insurance policy covers you to work around animals.
- Decide how long to spend there. Usually you will have accommodation for at least a week.
Posted in Safari Holidays